Many people with dental fear trace it back to unpleasant experiences they had as a child. And this fear can affect your oral health, if you avoid going to the dentist. We go out of our way to keep your kids comfortable and happy during dental appointments at Aberdeen Smiles. We want them to have healthy smiles for life!
Call 605-277-9049 today for an appointment in our kid-friendly Aberdeen, SC office. In the meantime, check out our suggestions to help your child love the dentist:
- Share Positive Stories – There are lots of good children’s books about the dentist, including ones featuring such beloved characters as Curious George and the Berenstain Bears. Read a few with your child, then engage them in a discussion about their own dental visit. Like adults, children will feel better about the dentist if they know what to expect.
- Make Sure Your Child Is Rested and Fed – Schedule your child’s appointment at a time when they are usually well rested and in a good mood. A hungry child is a cranky child, so make sure they eat beforehand too. If possible, though, don’t give them snacks immediately before their appointment as food debris can get in the way during their exam.
- Bring a Buddy With You – If possible, bring your child’s other parent, a grandparent, a family friend, or an older sibling along. They can help keep your child entertained, which will allow you to better focus on what our dentists have to say.
- Offer a Favorite Treat – Kids who visit our office love our goodie bags. You can make the day even more enjoyable by going for ice cream or visiting a playground on your way home.
- Practice Good Oral Hygiene at Home – Caring for your child’s teeth at home means they’ll be much less likely to develop cavities and other problems. Ensure they are brushing and flossing every day and limit sugary drinks and foods.
- Visit Every Six Months – Another way to keep your kid’s smile in great shape is to bring them to the dentist every six months. We’ll clean their teeth to help keep them free of cavities and may suggest treatments such as dental sealants and fluoride.
Like the American Dental Association, we recommend bringing children for their first visit before their first birthday. We’re happy to see kids as young as 6 months old. Call Aberdeen Smiles at 605-277-9049 for an appointment or schedule online.