It might feel like spring comes late in South Dakota, but it’s really just around the corner. That means the weather will clear up enough that people enjoy the great outdoors, big events like weddings, and more.
Lots of families prepare for spring and summer by planning their trips — while the adults hit the gym to lose a few pounds before those begin. But are your family’s smiles ready? You’ll be smiling in a lot of photos, and you’ll be getting active again and could put damaged teeth at risk.
People get ready for spring cleaning this time of year, which means it’s perfect for a dental spring cleaning as well. Call Aberdeen Smiles today at (605) 277-9049 and make your next appointment. You know how time flies when you’re not prepared, so call now before it’s already summer and your family dental health hasn’t improved.
Dental Spring Cleaning?
Why do people clean their homes every spring? It’s really for two reasons. First, you need to clean up after being stuck inside so much over the winter. But it’s also a great reminder that you need to clean, maintain, and even repair your family’s home.
The same goes for your family’s smiles. Everyone has been brushing and flossing regularly all winter long, right? Even if they did, only a trained dentist with specialized tools can truly clean teeth. That’s why you have to visit the dentist every six months. During that time, plaque and tartar can start to cover teeth. That leads to cavities, weak enamel, and even gum disease. What’s worse? The bacteria behind it are impossible to see.
By getting a family dental cleaning and exam each spring, you won’t forget to get the care your family needs. In addition, catching any dental problems early can help make the needed treatments easier and cheaper. Which would be easier to fix: a tiny cavity you can barely see or a giant cavity that cracked your kid’s tooth?
Smile For The Photo
People take photos more than ever, but they still take plenty at big events in the spring and summer. Your kids might have graduation photos taken, and there always seems to be a wedding you just have to attend. After a dental spring cleaning, your family’s smiles can be ready for all those pics. Here are some of the cosmetic dentistry treatments you can enjoy:
- Dental Veneers: Here, you get very thin but tough shells for the front of your family’s teeth. Made to fit individual teeth, they can hide stains, chips, cracks, and even small gaps between your teeth. While children often should go with different treatments, adults can definitely benefit from veneers as soon as our dentist bonds them to the teeth.
- Professional-Strength Teeth Whitening: While you can buy kits in drugstores these days, those are diluted in order to be sold over the counter. That means you’d have to do the same treatment several times to get a truly white smile. Thankfully, you can skip those and get Zoom or Venus White teeth whitening systems. Either in our Aberdeen office or at home, your smile will be dazzling for spring, summer, and much longer.
- Gum Reshaping: Your gums play an important part in your smile, so things can look unusual when you either have too much or too little covering your teeth. Thankfully, you can get treatment for both. Laser gum reshaping can remove excess gum tissues, whereas the revolutionary Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique can help cover more of a toothy smile.
- Tooth Bonding: In this more affordable cosmetic treatment, our dentists expertly apply a thin layer of a tooth-colored resin to your teeth. These fill in any chips or cracks and can even correct a worn edge. And because it’s colored to match your smile, it hides stains and blends in nicely with the rest of your smile.
- Invisalign Orthodontics: If your children are in their teens, it might be time to get orthodontics. However, they don’t have to get uncomfortable metal braces. Invisalign is a series of clear plastic trays that fit over the teeth. The aligner’s shape gently guides teeth to their proper position. They are practically invisible when worn, making them great for adults as well!
Get Outside Already!
Helping your family have great-looking smiles is only part of a dental spring cleaning. Any teeth that are slightly damaged or weak are put at risk when everyone heads outside for activities. Contact sports like football are an obvious one, but even riding bikes can cause a dental injury. And any weak teeth can get seriously damaged.
That’s why you need restorative dentistry. By making teeth healthier, you reduce the risk to your family’s smiles. Here are a few treatments that can really help:
- Fillings: Cavities are common in kids and adults. These are places where bacteria have eroded the enamel, which in turn makes the tooth weaker. A filling repairs the damage so the tooth is strong again. You can choose between metal (amalgam) or tooth-colored (composite) fillings.
- Dental Crowns: These amazing treatments are tooth-shaped caps that fit over a damaged tooth. Not only does this seal up any damage so it doesn’t get worse, it adds a layer of protection. It even hides cosmetic problems, making a damaged tooth look better as well.
- Root Canals: When you have a toothache, you could have an infection inside. If not treated, it weakens the tooth from the inside out, making it more likely to get seriously damaged. But a root canal can remove the infection and keep that tooth strong.
- Dental Implants: Missing a tooth is really obvious when you smile, but it also makes it harder to eat and helps your other teeth grow crooked. It can even weaken your jawbone because there’s no root from a tooth in it. But with a dental implant, you replace both the tooth and the root.
Call Aberdeen Smiles today at (605) 277-9049 or use our convenient online form to schedule your next family dental spring cleaning. By getting everyone’s teeth clean, attractive, and healthy, you can help your family enjoy spring and summer that much more.