It’s almost time for the kids to head back to school. When you’re checking off their school supplies lists and everything else, don’t forget to schedule their back-to-school dental cleanings with Dr. Drake or Dr. Fettig. Our Aberdeen family dentists love seeing kids and will make sure their teeth are clean and healthy before they head back. They can feel confident in their great smile around their peers.
Help your child put their best foot forward with a healthy smile. Call 605-277-9049 to set up their appointments today.
Keeping a Watchful Eye on Smiles with Dental Cleanings & Exams
It’s hard enough to get your child to do their chores and keep their rooms clean. Making sure they brush and floss can be difficult, too. Even if your kids are diligent about their oral hygiene, they still can’t get into all the tiny spaces and indentations in their teeth. In fact, a little more than half of all kids ages 11 and under have tooth decay. That’s when a dental professional can step in and help.
When you bring your children into Aberdeen Smiles twice a year for dental checkups, we’ll clean every part of their mouths they miss at home. We can also show them ways to make brushing and flossing easier and more effective. (We can share that information with you, too, if you have little ones.)
In addition to cleaning their teeth, we also:
- Examine their teeth, gums, and oral tissues for any issues such as tooth decay
- Check on dental development to see if they may need braces in the future or space maintainers now
- See if teens’ wisdom teeth are growing properly
- Provide sealants and fluoride treatments for extra protection against tooth decay
- Offer nutritional counseling to help you choose a diet that’s healthy for your kids’ teeth and bodies
Other Ways We Keep Your Kids Smiling
Dental fillings are common among kids. That’s one of the reasons we offer two types of tooth fillings:
- Composite fillings are metal-free fillings that blend right into your smile. Older kids appreciate this option, especially when their permanent teeth are all in. They don’t have to worry about being self-conscious when they smile.
- Amalgam fillings have been used for decades and decades. They’re effective and strong, so they’re great for younger kids whose permanent teeth haven’t come in, as well as for molars (back teeth) that require a lot of chewing power.
As dentists, we don’t underestimate the power of custom athletic mouthguards. These can prevent many dental injuries – as we’ve seen over our years of practice. A mouthguard from your dentist that is made to fit is more comfortable and therefore more likely to be worn.
If your child will be involved in school sports or any athletic activities, make sure their smile stays safe.
Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom teeth can cause pain, decay, gum disease, and crowding of other teeth. If we’ve recommended that your teen needs these teeth removed, don’t wait. Schedule an appointment before school starts back so they can recover without missing any days. If you aren’t sure if your child’s teeth need to be extracted, set up a consultation now.
In most cases, we don’t have to refer patients out for this treatment. That can save you time, money, and hassles of dealing with another office. We also offer inhaled sedation, if needed.
If your older teen is responsible and needs braces, consider giving them the gift of Invisalign. Our teen patients like this because:
- They don’t have to be embarrassed because food gets stuck in their braces – the clear aligners come off when they eat!
- Because the aligners are removable, your teen can eat what his or her friends are eating too. No diet restrictions!
- Their aligners can come off during special occasions like prom or during sports, if needed. Just make sure they wear them the recommended 20-22 hours a day.
- They don’t have metal brackets or wires, so they’re more comfortable.
- They require fewer progress checkups at our office than traditional braces do, so your teen will miss less school.
While your child is in their appointment, your younger ones can play in our play area. And you can relax with a complimentary paraffin wax treatment!